Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women’s Ice Hockey Completes Weekend Sweep of Trinity

Caitlyn Wilkin

NEW LONDON, Conn. – Junior defender Caitlyn Wilkin (Barre, Vt.) factored into a pair of goals for the first time of her career in leading the Connecticut College women's ice hockey team to a 5-1 victory over Trinity on Saturday evening at Dayton Arena to complete a weekend sweep of the Bantams.

After netting all of their goals on the power play in Friday's 3-0 road win over the Bantams, the Camels came together and were clicking on all cylinders to score five times at even strength in the second matchup between the schools. Wilkin opened the scoring at 3:13 when she fired in a shot from the blue line, and freshman Melanie Conca (Nuzlet, N.J.) followed with her first goal as a collegian by finishing a short pass from sophomore Melissa Alexander (Bellingham, Mass.) through traffic at 8:09.

Trinity (2-3, NESCAC 0-2) was able to slice the margin in half before the break when Lily Kate Delaney one-timed a pass from behind the net by Mia Fusco with 1:40 left, but that was all the Bantams could get past sophomore Carly Denora (Verona, N.J.) for the rest of the evening. The Camels went ahead again by two goals on a play started in the defensive zone by senior captain Ashley Carbone (Old Saybrook, Conn.) at the 12:07 mark and never looked back.

Lauren Helm blitzed down the ice and fired a shot that was blocked by Bergen Kobiena, and junior Erin Dillon (Hazlet, N.J.) then buried the loose puck in the net to make it 3-1. Then on a second-chance opportunity, Mairi Anthony snuck the puck past Kai-Lilly Karpman after having her initial shot saved. Senior Kyla Floresca (West Memphis, Ark.) who collected the rebound, and sophomore Natalie Witkowski, were credited with assists on Anthony's goal which came with 47 seconds left in the second period and gave the hosts a 4-1 advantage.

Connecticut College, which outshot the visitors by a 12-5 margin in the final period, got one more insurance tally before the game was over that came off the stick of Caroline O'Keefe (Winthrop, Mass.). Wilkin received a pass from the freshman and rocketed a shot in from the left point which was initially saved by Karpman, and O'Keefe won the puck through traffic to pot the first marker of her collegiate career at 3:53 to seal the final outcome.


Denora earned the win for the Camels by making 19 saves, while Karpman turned away 20 shots for the Bantams in the losing effort.


Connecticut College (2-3, NESCAC 2-2) will next visit Manhattanville on Saturday, Nov. 30 at 3 p.m.