Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Lacrosse Falls to No. 3 Tufts

Toby Almeida

NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Connecticut College men's lacrosse team dropped a NESCAC match to No. 3 Tufts, 24-6, on Saturday afternoon at Silfen Field.

The game was tight and highly competitive at the start, as the Camels only trailed by a goal when junior Jack Rutter (Madison, N.J.) put the Camels on the board by netting an unassisted marker at the 1:02 mark of the opening quarter to make it 2-1. After Danny Murphy gave the Jumbos a 3-1 advantage they would carry into the second, Connecticut College came right back by getting back-to-back markers. Senior Jordan Foster (Las Vegas, Nev.) found Rutter with 9:29 on the clock and then tied the game just 42 seconds later.

Tufts, however, went on cruise control by racking up 13 straight goals during the second and third frames. Leading 5-3 in the waning minutes of the first half, the Jumbos most notably capitalized twice in a span of 29 seconds after a Camel was whistled off for a 2-minute illegal body checking penalty which was unreleasable. James Gilbert set up Mac Bredahl and Garrett Samuelson for the goals which would completely shift the pendulum in the visitors' favor and give them all the momentum for the remainder of the contest.

Foster was able to end the Jumbos' hot stretch by finding the back of the net with 6:02 left in the third to make it 16-4, but the costly mistake that resulted in the Jumbos being able to break the game open with the Camels playing a man down would understandably be too much to overcome.

Max Waldbaum and Murphy each scored four goals and dished out two assists to lead a group of 19 players to factor into the scoring for Tufts (9-0, NESCAC 4-0), which outshot the Camels by a 73-32 margin. Bryce Adam also netted a hat trick, and Ben Connelly set up four of the 24 markers. Mason Pollack made eight saves during the first three quarters to earn the win.

Connecticut College (3-6, NESCAC 0-5) was offensively paced by Rutter and Foster. Rutter scored three goals and one assist, while Foster finished with two goals and a helper. Sophomore Toby Almeida (Cumberland, R.I.) picked up seven ground balls and won 13 faceoffs on 25 attempts, and junior Colin Smith (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) did all he could by making 16 saves in nearly 50 minutes of action in the cage.

The Camels will next head on the road to face Trinity on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m.