Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 20 Men’s Lacrosse Shoots Its Way Past Coast Guard on Jordan Foster’s Last-Minute Goal

Jordan Foster

NEW LONDON, Conn. – Junior PJ Kelleher (Walpole, Mass.) factored into eight goals, which included finding classmate Jordan Foster (Las Vegas, Nev.) for the game-winning marker in the waning seconds, to propel the Connecticut College men's lacrosse team to a thrilling 9-8 victory over Coast Guard on Tuesday evening at Silfen Field.

After Coast Guard (5-2) tied the game at 8-all with 45 seconds remaining, senior Ben Parens (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) won the ensuing faceoff and a timeout was called for the Camels to set up one last play. Working from the right side, Kelleher let the clock run down so the hosts could get one more shot. The junior eventually found a cutting Foster, who launched an off-balance shot through traffic and past Bear netminder Trey Johnson with just 13 seconds left for the deciding tally.

Following a slow start, Coast Guard got on a roll by building up a 6-2 advantage in the final minutes of the second period. With the game tied at 1-1, the Bears got a pair of man-up goals in a span of 4:04 to build up a 3-1 lead by the end of the first quarter. Riley McNulty and Jack Pope each scored to put the visitors ahead.

Coast Guard used the momentum to build up a 6-2 lead when McNulty connected with Pope at the 3:13 mark of the second quarter. The Camels, however, responded by rattling off six straight goals to regain the lead with less than six minutes remaining in regulation. Junior Jack Rutter (Madison, N.J.) scored with four seconds left in the second quarter to stage a Camel rally, and Keller notched unassisted marker to put the hosts ahead at 7-6 before having a hand in the heroics at the end of the game.

Connecticut College (7-1) outshot its opponent by a 35-28 margin and got four goals and four assists from Kelleher while Foster scored twice. Defensively, Courtney Morgan caused three turnovers and goalie Hunter Rosenthall turned away three shots after entering the game with the Camels trailing by a 6-2 score.

McNulty registered one goal and three assists to lead the offense for Coast Guard, which had a 23-18 advantage in ground balls and won 13 of the 20 faceoffs. Pope scored twice, and Justin Edwards finished with three ground balls and two caused turnovers on the defensive end. Johnson turned away four shots between the pipes.

Connecticut College, which has already matched last season's win total, will next trek to Massachusetts to face undefeated and No. 3-ranked Tufts on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m.