Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Ice Hockey’s Comeback Effort Comes Up Short at Amherst

Greg Pezza

AMHERST, Mass. – Despite erasing an early two-goal deficit and getting a 48-save effort from junior Connor Rodericks (Buzzards Bay, Mass.), the Connecticut College men's ice hockey team fell to Amherst by a 4-2 decision on Saturday afternoon at Orr Rink.

Amherst (7-4-2, NESCAC 5-2-2) scored the first goal of the game at the 17:07 mark of the first period when Patrick Daly found the back of the net. The Mammoths took the 1-0 edge into the first intermission.

Both teams would gain several scoring opportunities during a scoreless second frame. Max Roche nearly doubled the margin coming out of the gates, but his shot from point-blank range was stuffed by Rodericks. At the other end of the pond, Giancarlo Ventre made a sliding save to rob freshman Steven Senese (Niagara Falls, N.Y.) from netting the equalizer before padding a hard wrister off the stick of classmate Anthony Quatieri (Peabody, Mass.). The teams then headed to the locker rooms for the second time with the Mammoths maintaining a one-goal lead.

The offenses of both teams, however, finally caught fire in the third period. Despite falling behind by a 2-0 margin on a Jack Lloyd marker just 42 seconds into the stanza, the Camels fought back and netted the next two goals to even the score. Liam Ferguson found Jacob Moreau on the far right post for a one-timer which put the visitors on the board at 4:30, and Kyle Moss sent a shot that deflected off an Amherst defender with 4:28 to play.

Amherst, however, had a quick answer less than two minutes after the Moss tally, Nick Bondra fired home a rebound while diving onto the ice to give the Mammoths a 3-2 advantage at the 17:11 mark. Connecticut College had one last opportunity to tie the game up when a face-off occurred in their offensive zone with 11 seconds left, but Joey Lupo gained possession for the hosts and Roche placed the puck into an empty net with just 0.4 seconds on the clock.

Ventre made 26 stops to pick up the victory between the pipes for Amherst, which won 52 of the game's 77 face-offs. The Camels' Rodericks, meanwhile, turned away 48 shots by making 16 saves in the first period, 15 in the second, and 17 in the third.

Connecticut College (4-9-1, NESCAC 0-7-1) will look to get back on track when it visits Wesleyan on Friday evening at 7 p.m.