HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C.--Senior Daniel Maffa (Lexington, Mass.) posted a 6-3, 2-6, 6-0 victory at number two singles to lead the Connecticut College men's tennis team to a 5-3 victory against Belhaven University in Hilton Head Island, S.C. Thursday. The Camels would later tie East Texas Baptist University later on in the day to move to 2-2-1 on the spring.
Sophomore Will Cannon (Fairfield, Conn.) chipped in with a victory at third singles in the triumph over Belhaven. Ben Sachs (Mount Kisco, Maine) contributed with a 6-3, 6-4 win at fourth singles for Head Coach Chris O'Brien's squad. Patrick Farrell (Smithtown, N.Y.) notched a 6-1, 6-1 win at sixth singles for Connecticut College.
In third doubles action, Farrell and sophomore Johnny Cissel (Amherst, N.H.) joined forces to take an 8-4 win for the Camels. The Belhaven men moved to 5-5 with the loss. Senior Rene Ramos (Morelia, Mexico) posted a 6-3, 6-0 straight set win at number one singles to lead the Blazers in the setback.
The Camels played their second match in the Palmetto State against the Tigers from East Texas Baptist University (4-6-1). Cannon won a 10-7 decision in his super tie-breaker for the Camels at third singles. Sachs registered a 6-2, 7-5 victory at fourth singles. Cannon and Maffa joined forces to take an 8-5 win at number one doubles.
March 16, 2017
Connecticut College 5 Belhaven University 3
Records: BU 2-1; CC 2-2
1. Rene Ramos (B) def. Charlie Williams (CC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Daniel Maffa (CC) def. Ivan Alberto Kekoc (B) 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
3. Will Cannon (CC) def. Joan Soler (B) 6-3 2-6, 6-3
4. Ben Sachs (CC) def. Sebastian Barrientos (B) 6-3, 6-4
5. Owen Taylor (B) def. Scott Brown (CC) 6-2, 4-6, 1-6
6. Patrick Farrell (CC) def. Tracy Hilaire (B) 6-1, 6-1
- Ramos/Solder(B) vs. Cannon/Maffa (CC) 6-6, DNF
- Pawel Tarasawicz (B) def. Williams/Sachs (CC) 8-5
- Farrell/Cissel (CC) def. Barrientos/Travous Wilson (BC) 8-4
March 16, 2017
Connecticut College 4, East Texas Baptist University 4 DNF
Records: CC 2-2-1; ETBSU 4-6-1
- Charlie Williams (CC) def. Connor Mason (ETBU) 6-2, 6-3
- Cody Highsmith (ETBS) def. Daniel Maffa (CC) 7-6, 6-3, 10-6
- Will Cannon (CC) def. Andrew Deutsch (ETBS) 2-6, 6-3, 10-7
- Ben Sachs (CC) def. John Herr (ETBS) 6-2, 7-5
- Joseph Salinas (ETBS) def. Scott Brown (CC) 3-6, 6-4, 10-8
- Cannon/Maffa (CC) def. Mason/Andrew Devitson (ETBS) 8-5
- Highsmith/Herr (ETBS) def. Sachs/Williams (CC) 9-7
- Ty Tarver/Salinas (ETBS) def. Farrell/Cissel (CC) 8-5